Sunday, October 25, 2009

Time flies!

I have now lived in England for a month. Let me begin by saying that I absolutely love it here.  I may never come home.  Here are some of my observations so far. 

1: England is cold.  I had heard this, but didn’t really understand it until I got here.  I wear a blanket wrapped around me pretty much all the time at home, and it’s only October.  

2: English food isn’t half bad.  They have some really delicious stuff here.  For example: pickle, a delicious spread eaten with bread and cheese and made of I don’t know what; HP sauce, to be eaten with anything traditionally part of English breakfast, but also good on almost everything I’ve tried it on; every kind of yogurt I’ve tried; and squash, which is actually drink mix, not a vegetable. 

3: English teeth aren’t that bad either.  They’re not perfect, but they’re also not as wonky as we think they are in America.

4: English accents really are fun to listen to, especially when they’re kids.  Sometimes I find myself not listening to what’s being said because I just like the sound of what they’re saying.  And, there are so many different kinds of accents.  It’s great. 

            5: English drivers are insane.  I have feared for my life on multiple occasions.  The streets are very narrow and the drivers have to swerve around parked cars and cars that are coming towards them.  It also doesn’t help that it feels like we’re turning into oncoming traffic all the time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment