Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Who's Guy Fawkes?

Last Thursday was Guy Fawkes Day.  It’s not a holiday we celebrate in America so I’ll give you the rundown, as I understand it.  A long time ago, there was a group of people who didn’t like the king.  Apparently he was abusing his power or something.  Well, this group decided that they needed to do something about it, so they planned to blow up the Houses of Parliament.  They put the plan in action and planted a bunch of gunpowder under the building.  Guy had one simple job to do.  Guy was the triggerman.  Unfortunately for Guy, he was caught, then hung, drawn, and quartered.  In celebration of his failure, apparently, the Brits make effigies of Guy and burn him.  Then they shoot off fireworks.  I’m not kidding.  That’s the whole story.  Well, my roommates decided that I needed to have an authentic Guy Fawkes Day experience and so we made an effigy, lit him on fire, and shot off fireworks.  Here are some of the pictures from the night’s festivities.  

My roommate Kim and our friend Lindsay creating Guy.

Guy gettin' a little fresh.  He deserved to die.


Some wicked awesome firework action.

Guy meets his end to the cheers of the onlookers.


4 comments:

  1. I have a faint memory of someone in one of our wards having a Guy Fawkes Day celebration but I can't remember who it was. Or maybe I heard about it on the radio. Either way, good to know you celebrated the day with the rest of the Brits. The memory may have just come to me. It may have been Michelle Scullin???

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome holiday! Burn an effigy of a failure. Fire, and death! Perfect holiday in my book. I'm definately writing this date down and celebrating it next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This tradition has to be terribly theraputic. We should celebrate it next year when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm, i sound morbid. But for all my failures I am rarely celebrated, and especially not remembered. He is a lucky Guy...hah (ok so that is not funny)

    ReplyDelete